As discussed in the process overview, impactful communication is designed around the target audiences. To develop messages- and distribute those messages- in ways that resonate with intended audiences, it is critical to first build a deep understanding of your audiences.
Developing Audience Profile
A useful exercise in building this understanding is developing an audience profile. An audience profile allows you to step into the shoes of the people you are seeking to reach and develop a nuanced understanding of the attitudes, emotions, identities, experiences, social pressures, and values that influence how they navigate the world. Watch Over Zero Founder and Executive Director describe how to build and use an audience profile in the above video.
Below are some key questions from an audience profile exercise. To access a full audience profile, click here.
- What are my different identities?
- Which identities are most important to me?
- How do I see myself within my context?
- What are my hopes? Fears?
- What values do I hold most closely to?
- What are my interests?
- How do I see my role in the current conflict?
- How do I feel about the dangerous messages I am encountering?